Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Let's do stuff!

I have not, in fact, fallen off of the face of the (blogging) earth. I am still here. Apparently, I’ve just had nothing to say over the last few days. I’m OK with that. Today I have a few things to say… well, to write… actually to type. You get my point.

I attend Edgemont United Methodist Church in Florence. I help lead worship in the alternative service. Recently we adopted a new mission statement. I like it a lot. That mission statement reads as follows:

Our purpose is to make more disciples of Jesus
to become deeply committed disciples
and to be disciples serving others

After adopting the new mission statement we began to discuss the how. “How do we get there?” “How do we accomplish our mission?” That discussion soon centered on our worship times. Our current Sunday morning schedule looks like this: 9:00 am – Alternative Worship; 10:07 – Sunday School; 11:15 – Traditional Worship. Our discussion will culminate in a special Ad Council meeting at which we will vote on a proposed new schedule for Sunday mornings.

That’s not what I want to discuss. It’s lust the lead in. The lead in continues:

A couple of weeks ago we met to hear feedback from the congregation on the issue. A few days later a few of us were to meet to begin digesting the feedback. I could not make it to the meeting. Instead I sent my thoughts to a few of the attendees in email form. Here is an excerpt from that email:

First of all, I think we need to keep our mission/vision first in our minds as we come to a decision. (It's a no-brainer, I know, but the little bit of discussion I heard Monday did not once veer toward "making more disciples." Or either of the other "Ds" for that matter.) I'm going to focus on the "Making more disciples" part of our mission for now. One of the things Adam Hamilton talked about at Annual Conference was a new, 21st Century model of evangelism. This model starts with getting people involved in missions. Get people doing something. I think that needs to be our focus. Doing stuff and getting others to come along with us.

I know this does not address the issue of service times, and that's kind of my point. I think we're asking the wrong question. Instead of, "Which service is more likely to attract unchurched people?" I think we need to ask, "What causes are unchurched people passionate about? And how can we get involved in that cause?" If we get people invested in doing ministry it won't matter what time the services start, they will be there.

I want Edgemont to be known as a church that is doing things. I want people to hear Edgemont and think “Service, Missions, Ministry.” I want people to know that Edgemont is a place where you can go to do real ministry. I want Edgemont to be the first thing community service organizations think of when they need volunteers or supplies. I want the community to know that if they need help Edgemont United Methodist Church can help them.

That being said; a few days ago I listed several ideas for new ministries at Edgemont. Many of them are “pie in the sky” ideas. Most of them are not only doable they are easily doable.

Below is the list with a brief description of most of them. Some do not have a description, because I’m not sure what that ministry might look like. (Here’s where the discussion I mentioned earlier comes into play.) Look at the list with an open mind. I know that many of these seem impossible. Use them as a springboard. What idea spring forth from these ideas? Something similar? Something completely different? What else can Edgemont do? (Some of these ideas are borrowed from churches I attended previously. The best ideas are mostly already taken. Don’t be afraid to borrow them.)

These ideas all focus on our community. That does not mean that I don’t think we should do regional, national, or international missions projects. We should. But I think our focus needs to start locally.

Here’s the list:

Sunday Lunch ministry – We could provide lunch each Sunday for anyone and everyone who wants to come. (Borrowed.) I really think the Brandon Center (in the heart of East Florence) would be an ideal location for this.

Christmas party/gift donations – Throw a Christmas party for underprivileged kids and their families. While the kids are distracted by the games, crafts, etc. at the party the parents go to another part of the building to pick up gifts for the kids. (We did this in Birmingham in conjunction with 4-5 other churches. Each church took a certain number of kids and bought no more than $75 worth of gifts for each.)

After school program for at risk kids – Tutoring, homework help, mentoring, etc. (Another borrowed idea.)

Activities for mentally challenged adults. – Another ministry borrowed from our church in Paducah (3rd so far). Here’s a link to what they do.

Neighborhood food drive – We’re already doing this one. Coming in August look for flyers from Edgemont regarding canned food donations. Or you can bring canned goods to our booth at First Friday in July and probably August as well.

AIDS/HIV support group – I have no idea if something like this already exists in the Shoals area. If not, it should. If it does exist, I wonder if they need a place to meet. I think Edgemont needs to host something like this.

Clothing closet – Left home because of abuse and left everything? Lost everything in a house fire? Have a job interview and need a suit? We could provide clothes to fit your need. Ha! “Fit” your need!

Short term housing – Apartments available for, well, some of the same people mentioned in the clothing closet idea. People transitioning from homelessness. Families in crisis with no housing options.

Host a 5k for some exciting/worthy cause – Another idea stolen from COR in Kansas City (along with the neighborhood food drive).

Food Pantry – There are lots of these out there already. Does the Shoals need another?

Prayer hotline – Advertise a number to call if you need prayer. Have people “on call” 24 hours. They answer the calls and pray with whomever calls. Forwarding calls to whoever is “on call” does this fairly easily.

Jail release program – Have info packets and useful items (Clothes? Toiletries? Counseling?) available for inmates released from local jails. Especially first-time and young offenders.

Open gym for community kids – This one is not my idea. It has been batted around a little. There may be some liability issues with our insurance.

Which of these do you Edgemont folks think we could do? Which do you think are the most needed in our community? What else could we do? For you non-Edgemont folks, do you know of any similar ministries in this or your own community? What are some others?

Let’s do stuff!

Making, Becoming, Serving!

7 comments:

  1. Geez, Scott. All of these are great ideas. I especially like the after school program, the clothes closet, jail release program and any of the ones working with homelessness and folks in transition. Change is hard under the best circumstances, I can imagine that folks need much more help when there are extra challenges. Good thinking. Let's get this party started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other day I passed a van (I can't remember the organization's name) that provided rides for veterans. I was thinking we could provide rides somehow for people without transportation. Maybe a once or twice a week trip to Walmart for grocery shopping. If we had enough volunteers who could drive the van, we could have people schedule rides for doctors appt and such.

    I like your ideas too! I especially love your outlook and enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "just do something and see what happens" Max Lucado

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: the van idea -- I know there's an inexpensive van in the Shoals called NACOLG (not sure what this all stands for: North Alabama ... ?) but I don't know how you qualify. Rides are like $1, though.

    My idea: a community garden -- this is something I'm trying to bat around where I live -- not through our church necessarily, but the land for it could come from local churches if I can get it going, and volunteers ... anyway -- a plot of land where volunteers grow and teach kids about gardening, and those who need the harvest can have it. Maybe a lot of the people helping with the garden are the people who need to fruits of it, maybe not. But kids learn about where food comes from, how to eat better and how to do a garden.

    I know our Catholic St. Vincent de Paul organization does a lot of transition help like you talk about -- you might find out more about that group and model after them on that idea.

    If you do a 5k, you could do a training program leading up to it for people trying to get fit -- you can easily find a "couch to 5k" training plan and then coordinate training runs.

    If I think of anything else I'll let you know, but this stuff sounds great!

    OH! One more thing -- you'd have to set this up in conjunction with UNA Housing, but you can do a "move out" drive at the end of semesters where college kids can leave stuff -- food, mini Fridges, beds, clothes, whatever "gently used" stuff -- and you can funnel it to people who need it. My sis coordinated something like this at Georgetown and it has totally taken off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ashleigh - That might be something we could do with the apartments behind the church. I've been trying to think of something to do there. That might be a great idea!

    @Jennifer - The community garden idea has been batted around at EUMC. I can't believe I forgot to include it. EUMC has a lot of property. Problem is, most of it is shady. The idea has already "germinated" (ha! a garden pun.) We have a veggie garden that is open to anyone. It's not necessarily a "community" garden yet, but I think that is the plan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is true that NACOLG is available, at a cost of $2 per person each way M-F by appointment. While it sounds like a good deal, I have spoken with some who gave used the service and it can be very time consuming and expensive for single moms who have to take the kids with them to shop. I like the van idea, maybe even in conjunction with some childcare during shopping time. Have 2-or 3 adults and some of the youth to have game time and such for the kids? And make it available during a few set times during the week?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you get there? 1.Relevance to culture is not optional.2.Change the Biblical metaphors, if you are biblically literate your understand the metaphor of living water and the lady at the well.When was the last time you met someone at a well?But you have met someone recently at Zaxbys or Starbucks.3 Dont make the words of JESUS your model,make the wisdom of JESUS your model.4.Keep reminding yourself that the church isn't yours,but that you are the church and you belong to God.(may be controversial,but so be it)5.Pray for guidance. Being relevant doesnt mean changing your convictions to cater to any audience.However you must listen to learn how to communicate effectively to those who desperately need to hear,believe and receive.These will not go over well with some members,but you must have the conviction to proceed.

    ReplyDelete

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected