Friday, October 9, 2009

Everybody look at your hands

It’s Friday! Just a quick “life-in-a-nutshell” update today.

I’m supposed to be off today. Didn’t work out that way. Maybe I’ll take the afternoon off.

I’m headed to Birmingham tonight. David Sedaris is appearing at the Alys Stephens Center. Heath Mixon was nice enough to procure a ticket for me. I’m looking forward to the evening.

Misty is headed to Camp Sumatanga today. That is the site of this year’s Edgemont UMC Women’s Retreat. I think it will be a great weekend for her.

Something is wrong with my foot. I thought it was a stone bruise, but it didn’t go away. Took some antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds and it got better. I finished those a week ago. Now it’s hurting again. There’s a slightly swollen reddish spot on my heel. I guess I’ll have to go back to the doctor.

President Obama won this year’s Nobel Peace Prize. Interesting choice. Maybe this was the Nobel committee’s way of saying, “Please don’t invade Iran.”

I’m not going to go so far as to say that he is completely undeserving. But do they often award the prize for ideas? He has some great ideas on peace. He has some great ideas for bringing nations together; to understand each other. But so far they are just that. Ideas. I do think it is good for the US that he won. Just another step in regaining our national credibility.

Besides, everyone knows he’s a communist. And communists hate peace. Right?

I’m pretty excited about football this weekend. I’m more worried about Auburn’s game this week than I was last week. Everyone expects a shoot out. They are probably not wrong. I wouldn’t be surprised, though, if this one ends up 17-13. Not likely. I think Auburn will win. I think our offenses are pretty even. Auburn has the better defense. That’s the difference in the game. I’m going to say AU wins 45-32.

I expect Bama/Ole Miss to be a really good game. I think Snead will finally find his form and play to his potential. I don’t think that will be enough to beat Bama. It will stay close until the 4th quarter (this is Alabama after all), but I don’t think it will be that close in the end. I’ll say UA wins it 31-21.

By the way, these picks are for recreational use only. Please no wagering.

OK, let’s see I’ve covered politics, sports, and medical problems. I guess I should talk religion so I can alienate or piss off everyone.

This week in the Seeing Gray class we talked about God and suffering. That age-old question, “If God is good, then why does he allow (or cause) suffering?” Which brings up this quandary: God cannot be all-powerful and all-good. If God is all-powerful then he causes suffering (or at the very least allows it to happen), but if he is all-good then he would not want us to suffer. If God is in control of all that happens in our world, does that mean he causes human suffering? Discuss…

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected