Friday, August 14, 2009

Against my better judgement...

By the way, 189. Boom! Eat that! 175, here I come.

Not so sure I’m ready, but I think I’ll jump headlong into the health care reform debate today. Actually, I guess calling it a debate is being kind. Right now it’s more like: throw it all against the wall and see what sticks. Or as I heard some one put it earlier today, “If the facts don’t fit the frame, throw out the facts instead of the frame.”

To be completely honest, I don’t know much about the current bill. Unlike many others, I’m perfectly willing to admit I don’t know much about it. And unlike so many of my fellow HC Bill Ignoramuses I have not made up my mind on whether or not it is a good bill. The difference is that I plan to read and listen and then decide.

I’m not that smart. I don’t claim to be an intellectual. I’m not very politically savvy, either. But I can see the current fiasco surrounding the HC Bill for what it is: An effort to discredit the Administration through buzzwords, half-truths, and scare tactics. A public that is either completely mindless or complicit in the attack. And a congress spending more time attacking and/or defending than actually debating.

I see this issue from many angles. I look at it, like all of you, as a consumer of health care. I look at it as an employer who provides heath insurance for our employees. My wife works in the health care field; she is a nurse. So I also have an insight into that angle of the issue.

I know a few things in regards to US health care. First of all, there are way too many people who are uninsured or underinsured. You may consider that an opinion, I consider it a fact. 18,000 people dying every year because they lack affordable health coverage is wrong. Just plain wrong.

The insurance companies are broken. I don’t know that I would go so far as to say that they are corrupt, but “profit before people” seems to describe them fairly accurately. (Okay, I’ll admit that was almost entirely opinion.)

Health care costs are ridiculous! Insurance premiums are ridiculous. And the costs keep rising.

I say all of that to say again, I don’t know if this bill is right for the country. I do, though, plan to research and decide for myself. I hope others, too, will investigate. Then we can all discuss and debate. As opposed to screaming and belittling.

Here are a few sites to use in your research.

  • Sojourners – This is a “faith-based” website that deals with politics and culture from a Christian perspective. The link will take you to their resources dealing with Health Care Reform.
  • Health Care Glossary – I don’t know a single-payor plan from a public option. Like I said before, I’m not a smart man. I have trouble making heads or tails of most of the health care debate because of jargon. If you are in the same boat, this glossary of terms will help.
  • A Simple Explanation – From politifact.org. A quick overview of the issue, the debate, and the proposed plan. For the “Just the facts ma’am” folks in the crowd.
  • The Bill – If, for some reason, you want to read the entire 1017 page bill, here it is. Complete with the “Authenticated Government Info” seal.

I hope this helps. I hope you take the time to research. Otherwise, shut the hell up.

4 comments:

  1. I have met few people who don't agree that Healthcare needs to be reformed. I think what scares people like me is this attitude that it has to be done right now and there simply isn't enough time to ask questions or for the legislators to even read the bill.

    There are many options that can be explored before we jump into such a radical plan. Why not allow anyone to get medicare benefits? Doesn't that allow us to just expand coverage without an entire new beauracracy?

    Id liek to see a plan that helps people get insured, but does not transfer incredible amounts of power and access to the federal government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @UmcMatt - Well, said. I couldn't agree more that this does not need to be rushed through. That was the really troubling spot for me a few weeks ago. The "We must pass this before the break" attitude of the White House.

    Now let's all take a moment, breathe, and then talk it out.

    I wish you could come to Florence for my Wednesday night study. I'd love to have your perspective and level headed approach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that the facts no longer matter here - it's the right against the left. I wish people would stop yelling long enough to start EDUCATING themselves on the contents of the bill. It doesn't have to be a "liberal" or "conservative" issue - unfortunately, that's all it's become.

    ReplyDelete
  4. scott, very thotful article that i'd have to browse back to see if there is anythg in it that i disagree with. I know i need to do my homework which i, for some reason, dread. To say there is alot being proposed & talked abt would be an understatemnent. One thing I can say for sure (& to me its a fact tho i'm sure many, perhaps rightly, would say its just opinion) & that is that our sick-care system is sick - broken as u say. When we spend, is it twice(?) as much per capita as any other country (and the amount is going up every day)& end up essentially last among the industrial countries in terms of the main measures of health well-being of a people --- then something is BAD wrong. Perhaps a big part of that is just about every player except patient benefits from sickness not health. Again, ours presently is a system geared toward sickness not toward preventing illness & maintaining health.
    Jerry Miley

    ReplyDelete

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected