Monday, June 29, 2009

It's too darn hot....

Holy crap it is hot! Well, it’s actually cooler today than it has been in several days. The difference? Our air conditioner is broken. Apparently it is a solid block of ice. All we can do is sit and wait for it to thaw.

So, I’ll try to take my mind off of the heat by reminiscing a little.

First let me say, RIP Ed, Farrah, Michael, and Billy.

I was never a huge Farrah Fawcett fan, though I do remember the poster.

I always liked Ed. I loved him with Carson. Bloopers & Practical Jokes is still one of my favorite shows ever. I watched almost every episode of Star Search. I dreamed of standing next to Ed on the Star Search stage following my stand-up comedy set, and squealing like a girl when he screamed “Four stars!”

I can’t believe Billy Mays died. I loved Billy. Pitchmen was really growing on me. I’m guessing it won’t last long without him. Here is a post I wrote about Billy a few months ago. Billy v. Vince

I guess I have to share the inescapable “Remembering Michael” factoids. Like most people between the ages of 30 and 40, Michael Jackson was a large part of my childhood. I, like millions upon millions of others owned Thriller on vinyl. We also had a cassette version. The tape eventually broke from excessive listening.

At some point in my childhood, my mom bought me a “Beat-It Jacket.” It was black pleather (plastic-leather) with grey plastic shoulder pads. It had about 75 zippers in random spots and removable sleeves. It was a cheap knock-off, but I loved it! I have no specific memory doing so, but I’m sure I wore it along with a single glove at least once.

I do have a couple of specific memories concerning MJ events from my childhood. I remember riding past the Royal Avenue Pool in Florence around the end of 1983. We were listening to Casey Casem on the American Top 40. Casey was counting down the top 40 songs of 1983. “Billie Jean” was #3. “Beat It” was somewhere in the top 10 as well. Before playing “Billie Jean,” Casey announced that Thriller was the top selling album of all time.

I remember my 3rd grade lunch table better than anything else from that school year. One reason is Michael Jackson. One day I sat and listened and watched as my tablemates described in great detail the “Moonwalk.” The Motown Records 25th Anniversary special aired the previous night. I didn’t watch. I was in the minority. As I listened to the descriptions and watched demonstrations I envied the rest of them. They witnessed history. I heard about it second hand. I made sure I did not miss the American Music Awards later that year. A few months later we recounted reports of Michael’s flaming hair over our school lunch trays.

My parents would not allow us to get MTV. We watched rater “R” movies, but couldn’t watch MTV. Go figure. I remember when Thriller premiered. I didn’t get to see it. I do remember seeing it for the first time. I was at the Courthouse Racquetball Club. My mom was downstairs playing racquetball while I sat in the waiting area doing homework and watching TV. Then came the announcement. Thriller was coming. I sat and tried to concentrate on my math homework while mentally pacing the floor awaiting the music video event.

I remember hoping, praying that my mom would not finish her game before the video aired. Finally it came on. I sat with rapt attention. Taking in every detail. Wow.

Thanks for the music, Mike.

Thanks for the memories, Ed.

Thanks for the poster, Farrah.

Billy, thanks for the Oxiclean.

Rest in peace.

2 comments:

  1. Well said! I didn't have MTV until I was a senior in High school, but my best friend did and I managed to be there for the premiere of Thriller. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say what I want to say because both Heath and Bryan follow your blog too.. Just Imagine.

    ReplyDelete

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected