Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The "Rest of..." 2006


I’ve been reading through 2006 posts for the last hour or so. It was quite a year. What struck me most was the fact that I have gained 10 pounds since then.

2006 started off with a heck of an entry. It is really long. I’m not going to re-post the whole thing, but you can read it here: 1-3-06. It’s an interesting read. Here’s the last sentence: “To sum up...I hate funerals. I want to be cremated and have a keg party when I die. Also, a puppy will cure what ails you.

Let’s look a little later in the month. I thought this was an interesting post because of the mention of Sunday School.

___________________________________________________________

January 25th, 2006

(no subject)

music: Frente! - Bizarre Love Triangle

174. The only resolution I made this year: to weigh 175 or less at the end of the year. So far, so good. Wicked is going to be in Atlanta in May. I want to go, but I probably won't get to go (ticket prices, distance, work, etc). We went to Sunday School at Edgemont for the first time Sunday. It was quite nice. The class we're going to meets at the Parsonage (for now). Seems like a fun group of people. I'm in a quandry, though. I like Edgemont, I feel like we could really get involved there and be happy. BUT! There is supposed to be a new church starting in Florence this year. I've always wanted to be a part of a new church start. There won't even be an appointment to the church until June and who knows how long it will be after that before the church actually starts meeting. Anyone know what kind of time-table there might be for getting things started after June? (Just in a typical new church, not this one specifically.)

Have a great period of time until I post again. (Day, week, etc.) ___________________________________________________________

In April of 2006 my mom and dad took my son, my nephew, and I to New York City. Since we’re going back next week, I thought I’d put up the re-cap I wrote then. ___________________________________________________________

April 24th, 2006

NYC

Man, I'm tired! We were up at 3:30 Friday to get to the airport in time and up at 4:30 Sunday in order to get back. I missed a lot of sleep and haven't made it up yet.

Here's the NYC recap.

We had a great trip! Jacob decided Friday morning he didn't want to go anymore. He went. And he had a great time! We walked from Central Park South to Times Square ( via Fifth Ave) to go to Toys 'r' Us. Stopped in at Trump Tower, Rockerfeller Center, St. Patricks, etc. along the way. We went to The Empire State Building, but the wait was 60-90 minutes to buy tickets!!! We didn't stay. Jacob, Tanner, and I went to the Yankees game Friday night. Man, they have some good food at Yankee Stadium! The weather Friday was great! It was a little breezy at the game, though.

Saturday was not as nice weather-wise. It was cold and rainy pretty much all day. We still had a great time. We went to the World Trade Center site Saturday morning and spent a good while in Lower Manhattan seeing the sites. Went to Trinity Church, Battery Park City, etc. Ate at Pronto Pizza (it was good). Luckily the rain held off for most of this. But it was COLD!

My mom and I went to the matinee of Sweeney Todd. Wow! It was great. I love the music. The staging is a little bit Avante Garde and works to perfection. We sat 7th row on the aisle. The theater (Eugene O'Neil) is beautiful! It's very intimate; everything is close to the stage. The cast was amazing. All of the original revival cast is still in it. All except Mark Jacoby (Judge Turpin) performed. Michael Cerveris (Sweeney), Patti Lupone (Mrs. Lovett), and Manoel Felciano (Tobias) were stand-outs, but everyone was great! While we were gone, my dad took the boys to FAO Schwarz and went walking through the park.

That evening, my mom and I ate at Mickey Mantle's. (It was next door to our hotel.) Great atmosphere, great pasta. After that Tanner, Jacob, and I set off in the wind and rain to the Empire State Building. We hit the 86th floor, went outside and were pelted with 30 mph 45 degree rain. It was great! Visibility was limited, but I've seen it much worse. I think we got some good pictures. We went up to teh 102nd Floor Observation Deck. I'd never been up there. Then we rode the "NYC Sky Ride." Skip it. Trust me. I knew better, but the boys wanted to ride it. I'm just glad I didn't throw up. Then we dicided to walk to Times Square and take some pictures. It was a nice walk, though a bit cold & wet. We got some good pictures, it think. The highlight of this excursion might have been the Street Dancers we saw in the Subway at 34th St. Jacob loved them; I had to drag him away.

Then it was back to the room. We ordered pizza from room service and flipped back and forth between "The Godfather" and Ron White. While Tanner and Jacob practiced their Street Dancing.

All-in-all, it was a great trip! We did tons of stuff, but left even more undone. I was glad to get home, but I would go back today. I love New York City. I hope we can take the family back in a few years and stay longer. ___________________________________________________________

In October a kitten adopted us. ___________________________________________________________

October 18th, 2006

Kitten

music: Sutton Foster - Gimme Gimme

I don't think I ever posted about the cat that showed up at our house a couple of weeks ago. We were definitely not keeping it. I didn't even want to see it, because I'm weak. When it showed up at our house tiny and skinny we immediately called everyone we knew who might want a kitten. No one wanted it. The next day my wife decided the best place to show it off and give it away was at my office. So he lived in the warehouse for a week and a half. No one wanted it. We asked everyone in our Sunday School class. No one wanted it. Well, now he's at our house. We have a new kitten.

His name is Wiley. He's named for Bob Wiley, Bill Murray's character in What About Bob, because, like Bob, he showed up at the house unannounced and won't go away. He is quite a cutie though. I'll have to get a picture posted later.

Our house has turned into an episode of "Wild Kingdom" lately. Our two dogs and other cat are getting used to having Wiley around. Stitch (dog #1) pretty much ignores him. Isabella (the cat) was actually playing with him this morning, but ignores him or hisses at him when we're watching. Harvey (the puppy) just wants to lick Wiley's butt. I'm a little grossed out by that.

I'm not sure I've ever mentioned this, but we have the gayest dogs I've ever been around. I'll give more detail someday.

___________________________________________________________

Tomorrow it’s on to 2007. I hope you’re not completely bored yet. I’m not. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected