Thursday, October 23, 2008

Regrets only

I have very few regrets. I would say none, but that wouldn’t be true. I have some. I’m not talking about things I’ve done that I regret doing, but things I wish I’d done. There are definitely things I’ve done that I would like to erase, but I don’t know most of you well enough to share those. And to those I do know well enough… well, all things in time. I can only think of two things that I did not do that if given the chance I would go back and do (or redo.) I’m sure life would be different today if I did, but I’m pretty sure I would change them anyway.

  1. Try out for Sweeney Todd
  2. Ask Kimanthi and Heath Mixon to be in my wedding.

The first one is sort of two fold. One specific event I would change, and one a little more vague. I took theater classes all through high school. I loved it. Being on stage was like a drug. In 11th grade our high school theater department put on a production of Sondheim’s Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. For the non-theater people among us, Sweeney Todd is a musical. I didn’t try out. I told our Drama teacher (and myself) it was because I wanted to play baseball, and I couldn’t do both. The truth: I was scared to death of singing in public. If I had it to do over, I would try out.

That’s the specific. The vague? I wish I’d pursued theater as a career. More specifically Musical Theater. It’s a bit of a pipe dream. It even makes me chuckle a little to see it in print. I may (and probably would) have failed miserably, but I would still do it at the drop of a hat.

The second one, well I’m not sure why they weren’t in the wedding. Kimanthi was a good friend through most of high school, to both Misty and me. We kind of lost touch in college, though. I guess that was my reasoning then. Heath not being in it was a little more understandable at the time. I knew him from Camp Sumatanga and only saw him about once a year. The other guys in the ceremony were either family (my Dad and brother) or high school friends who went to Auburn with me. And then there was Kevin. He was a high school friend. He didn’t go to AU, but we kept in touch somewhat. Of course bringing those two into the wedding would mean someone had to go, so that complicates things a little.

On second thought I wouldn’t change either one. Who knows where my life would be now. I’m not sure changing my wedding party would bring about a drastically different future, but who knows.

I’ll just have to try to make up for lost time. I’ll get involved in Community Theater to quench that thirst. And Kimanthi and Heath, if Misty and I ever renew our vows (or if, God forbid, by some tragic circumstance I end up getting married again), you guys are in the ceremony.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected