Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Musings and Deliberations from the Road (Part 1)

I know you’ve noticed this phenomenon? I’m sure it irritates you as much as it does me? I’m also sure you know someone with this particularly annoying habit? I know others have complained about it, but now it’s my turn? People (mostly female) who end most sentences with an inflection that makes a statement sound like a question?
I’m not sure where this started. I don’t think it was the “Valley Girl” trend of the 80’s, but I do think it’s closely related. I’ve noticed it mostly in younger females. I’d say 25 and younger. I’ve noticed it for the most part in teenagers. It’s prevalent almost everywhere. I’ve heard it in person, but mostly on TV. I don’t mean on scripted shows, there I can write it off to acting. I’m talking about in “man-on-the-street” interviews and reality shows.
Last week I reached the breaking point. NPR did a segment on Product Placement in TV shows. It seems that the FCC wants to crack down on the practice. I’m not certain about that though, and apparently neither was their “expert.”
Amy Schatz was their expert. Amy sounded really informed on the subject. Sort of. She obviously did her homework on the subject. I think. Half of Amy’s answers were statements that spoken as questions. She is a reporter who covers the FCC (among other things) for The Wall Street Journal. You read that correctly, The Wall Street Journal. Not Tiger Beat, Teen Glamour, or Sorority Girl’s Hair Bow Monthly; The Wall Street Journal.
This is a professional journalist for a very respected newspaper, and I had trouble taking her seriously. I wanted to believe her. I wanted to trust what she was saying. It sounded like she didn’t even believe what she was saying. It sounded like she was asking the interviewer if she was right. I was completely distracted from what she was saying by how she was saying it.
Is it a confidence issue? “I’m not sure I’m right, so I’ll make it sound like I’m asking.” That’s how it comes across. Is it an issue of validation? “Here’s my opinion. Please tell me I’m right.” Or is it just an annoying habit?
Whatever the cause, it’s annoying? It’s hard to listen to? It sounds immature and unprofessional? And it can undermine everything you say?
Am I right? Please tell me I’m right. (Part 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected