Tuesday, January 2, 2007

You're Fired!... i'm sorry

Before I start, let me say, John Raitt is/was freaking awesome! Dude had a set of pipes. If you ever get a chance to listen to The Pajama Game, Oklahoma!, or Carousel original cast recordings you'll see (hear, actually) what I mean.

Today was a first. I had to fire someone. I've never done it, ever. It's not a pleasant experience. This was a firing we all knew was coming. I hoped I wouldn't be the one to do it. So much for hoping. When I realized it was my job to fire her, I handled it better than I would have thought. At least I didn't get nauseous.

Then the time came to do the deed. I was afraid it might turn ugly. It didn't. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm not sure how "in charge" you can seem when your voice trembles as your firing someone, but I did it. I was afraid I would say too much. I was short and to the point; mostly because I would've broken down if I'd said any more. I was afraid I'd feel terrible the rest of the day. I don't. Quite the opposite. I've been in a really good mood this afternoon.

One thing is certain, I'm glad it's over. The moral of the story: Never hire family. You may have to fire them one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected