Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Class Wars

Whew! I just made it to my 1:00 class. As in I made it into the room just in time to get started. That means I lost my spot! I had a great spot last week third row, on the wall. Now, I'm in the back row on the aisle, and it's hot in here. I like sitting on the wall in this classroom because that's where the air vents are. So sitting here, I'm burning up with little hope of cooling off anytime soon. Plus, I'm in a crappy chair.

Time to start. Gotta take notes. I'll update later.

*update 2:40 pm - There is a guy in my class wearing a Member's Only jacket. Awesome!

*Update 3:00 pm - Paraphrase of my professor talking about Calvin. - He (Calvin) says that there are a whole mass of non-essentials that God leaves to our common sense with the only direction being Love. (e.g. Red or white wine for communion? More modern, wine or juice?)

*Update 5:20 pm - Well, I'm sitting here waiting for my second class of the day to start. I hope I can stay awake through this one. Church History does not sound like the most thrilling of classes, I know. I am a big fan of history though.

Speaking of history, here's my dilemma for the week: Sunday is the 10th Anniversary of 9/11/01. I know, no shock there. How should we recognize that in worship? I'm of the opinion that it needs to be addressed, but addressed appropriately. We will not have a "rah rah America" type service, though. Patriotism + Worship = Idolatry. (Don't be offended. I know it can be done, but this is the rule. Done well is the exception.)

So, what is appropriate for this Sunday? I've got to ponder that a little more.

*Update 5:47 pm - This week's Gospel reading (from the lectionary) is Matthew 18:21-35. "How many times should I forgive?" Wow. Preaching this week (10th anniversary of 9-11) just got interesting.

*Update 7:05 pm - My Church History professor is proving that it is possible to be completely boring and completely hilarious at the same time.

*Update 7:40 pm - Direct quote from my CH professor: "If you can't laugh at yourself, just hold your breath and die."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected