Monday, June 6, 2011

And... we're back

It's time again for class! Today is my first day of summer classes. 3 straight weeks of summer classes.

For the next two weeks I will be listening, talking about, reading about, etc. God, Evil, and Suffering.

I'm really looking forward to this class.

So far I really like this professor. Funny guy.

*update* 10:45 am - In our initial discussion of Theodicy and the question "Why did you talk this course?" My instructor is, more and more, echoing Brian McLaren's presentation from Annual Conference.

Speaking of which... I plan to get my notes blogged and posted later this week.

I also plan to post the sermon I preached at Edgemont yesterday.

*update* 10:55 am - To me, this is not a class where we will offer answers. I'm starting to think some of my classmates are going to be the answer offering types...

*update* 11:30 am - In response to Jerry's comment: The title of teh class is "God, Evil, and Suffering." Comment of the day so far is this exchange between a student & the professor before class:

"Is this the Good & Evil class?"
"Nope, there's no good here. Just evil and suffering."

As for the logistics, this class meets every day from 10 -2 for 2 weeks. My next class meetes for one week from 9-5 each day.

*update* 12:30 pm - Going over the syllabus is making me feel better about this class and my next. Cramming 14-16 weeks worth of work into 2 weeks (or one week in the case of my next class) is, in the words of my instructor, "Like trying to drink from a fire hydrant."

That being said, I was quite nervous about doing a semester's worth of work in such a short time. I'm feeling much better about this class now. It will be difficult, but should be very manageable. Especially if I take my medication.

*update* 1:30 pm - Here's something I've got to stop: I'm sitting here in class listening to people respond to some questions from our instructor and just generally observing the class. While doing that I am giving each person a label. "There's the conservative." "She's the hippie." "There's the Gen Y, Millennial cool-guy slacker." I really should stop that. I hope I can get past those initial impressions and judgements.

*update* 2:00 pm - Class is done! Time to go.

This one is going to be fun, BTW.

1 comment:

  1. Scott, Glad to see u back in Seminary again & enjoying it! Just wondering what the subject or title of the course is &, like, do u go to class all day & stay all wk, etc?
    Thank u for keepg us posted!
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected