Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Shock & Awe

I went to Hackleburg with the youth from Edgemont UMC this past weekend. I fully expected to write a blog about it Monday or yesterday. I got a call Monday that changed that plan.

First, Hackleburg. Then, the call.

Hackleburg is a mess. I wrote last week about going to Moulton. Hackleburg is worse. Much worse. Probably a 1000 times worse than what I saw in Moulton. There was one area where you could not see an up right tree or intact home anywhere in your field of vision. The devastation was awesome. I don’t mean ‘awesome’ in the Neil Patrick Harris sense of awesome. I mean I sat in awe of the horrific ruin I saw. We worked on clearing several downed trees from the yards of a couple of residents. It was tiring, humbling, rewarding, troubling, thought-provoking…there are probably a hundred other adjectives I could use to describe the experience, but none would do it justice.

I talked with one of the homeowners for a while late in the day. He looked around amazed at the work we’d done (there were 3 different groups totaling about 75 people). He said it would’ve taken him months to clear out what we cleared. I’m glad to have been a part of it.

If you have a chance and if you are able, go help. Hackleburg, Phil Campbell, Harvest; wherever you can go. Go.

Now, the call.

Sunday night I went to Frostbite (a local frozen yogurt place) with the youth to reflect on our Hackleburg trip. I never dreamed it would be my last activity with Edgemont UMC. The plan was to start as pastor at Mt. Moriah UMC on June 19th. That is the official first day for all moving & new pastors in the UMC North Alabama Conference. That plan changed. The DS called Monday and asked if I could start this week. Long story short, I will start at Mt. Moriah this week. That means this past Sunday was my last at Edgemont. My last Sunday to sing with the band. My last Sunday to lead worship.

I will be back to Edgemont next month. I will preach on June 5th. I think I’m still in shock.

That’s all I can say for now. (Not because of any sort of gag order, I just have not had a chance to process everything yet.) I will post a more reactionary/reflective take later. For now, let me just say:

Thank you, Edgemont. I'll miss you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected