Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thursday = Class

It's Thursday and here I sit in Cumberland Hall. It's time for class and class and class. I liked the running commentary I did a couple of weeks ago. I think I'll continue the trend today.

Right now I'm sitting in what is, so far, my favorite class.

Losing a week is throwing things into chaos. OK, chaos is a little over-dramatic.

Today we get to talk about the Ptolemies. I bet we talk a little Seleucid also.

*update* - This class rally is interesting. So far this morning we've talked a lot about the history of the high Priesthood in ancient Israel. Levite to Zadokites to the Highest-bidder-ites. Interesting stuff.

It's really amazing how much history can inform the present (and the future).

Time for the Seleucids.

*update* - We just talked about the origins of "Blood Libel." Interesting. I guess Sarah Palin should've taken this class.

*update* - For Eric, from my notes -

From Josephus – ‘Blood Libel’ story was fabricated by the Seleucidsto justify invading the Temple. “Antiochus found a man in the Temple. He wasthere to be fattened up and eaten by the Jews.” He issued a decree prohibitingJewish customs. The story above was used to justify the decree.

*update* - 1:00 - Just finished Formation for Ministry. It was an interesting day. We shared our class covenant. I'll share more on that later (probably next week). In short...that thing scared me to death.

Now it's on to Intro to Pastoral Care. We starting the presentation of our PC Case Study papers today. I present mine next week. I'm a little nervous about that.

*update* - 1:35 - We just had a really good discussion on Communion (and other Sacraments) as a means of grace. I wish I'd taken better notes. (actually any notes would have been good.) I got caught up in listening.

*update* - 3:10 - I think I'm finally starting to wrap my head around this Pastoral Care stuff. So far it's been some pretty thick meat to chew on. I'm finally getting it chewed up and digested.

*update* - 3:35 - Phrase of the day: "Lascivious kissing without pollution." Oh yeah!

*update* - 5:40 - Last class of the day. Let's learn to interpret!

*update* - 6:30 - This class is losing me a little. I'm going to have to re-focus. Must re-focus. We are talking about the different things to consider when reading & interpreting a biblical text.

I have to say one thing before I start paying attention again. Disciple Bible Study is good stuff. I can't tell you how much stuff from that class has been useful in my classes so far. And I'm only 4 weeks in!

*update* - 7:00 - Is it just me or is this class really easily distracted? We seem to get off point quickly and often.

*update* - 7:55 - I'm hungry.

"We Christians are good at coming up with good ideas. We are not so good at living up to them." Nice quote. Still not as good as the 'lascivious kiss' line earlier.

*update* - 8:15 - I just realized I have to do another book review this week. This book is a lot longer and potentially not as interesting. The Letters of Paul: Conversations in Context. You're jealous aren't you. Yeah, I know you are.... 15 more minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Loving the live blogging of seminary. I forget the deal with 'blood libel.' Do share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes. Thank you for the refresher. Politicians twisting religion to promote their own cause... they be some dastardly dudes, fo sho.

    ReplyDelete

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected