Monday, June 21, 2010

I like-a La Quinta

Greetings from the La Quinta Inn!

We're in Birmingham for a couple of days. Misty is here for the second site-visit of her Nurse Practitioner program. The kids and I are along for the ride. We dropped Misty off at UAB about an hour ago. In another hour she will see a live “patient” and be evaluated on her assessment of said “patient.”

The quotes are there for good reason. The “patients” seen by the students are actually actors (I use the term very loosely.) They come in and complain of some imaginary symptom and the students (my lovely wife included) have to proceed with an exam appropriate to their complaint. During said review, they are observed, evaluated, and videotaped. Fun.

Meanwhile, the kids and I ate the free La Quinta breakfast and are now waiting for the hotel pool to open. I think we may try to see a movie this afternoon. Then who knows. Tomorrow, I think we’ll take in the zoo (if it’s still free on Tuesdays) and probably swim some more.

Time for the pool to open, but first I need to give an endorsement to the Homewood La Quinta Inn. It’s not the nicest hotel in town. But I would recommend it to anyone. Here’s why: #1, it’s cheap. #2 is the better (and longer) reason.

Misty booked a room a few weeks ago. Then we decided to tag along for the trip. Then we decided we would need 2 rooms. These two days are going to be stressful enough for Misty without the added stress of arguing kids. I called last week to book a second, connecting room. The agent on the phone could not locate a connecting room, but he added the request to the reservation.

When we arrived, the desk clerk gave us keys for our “adjoining” rooms. “We don’t have any connecting rooms.” Uh oh. We looked at the rooms…no way.

When we returned to the desk we apologized and said we would try another hotel. Then the clerk said she would call around to several hotels in the area and find the best rate with connecting rooms.

What? That’s right, she was going to call around and find us a room at another hotel! I was shocked. Her comment was, “You are still my guests until I find you another place.” Amazing! A hotel that takes hospitality seriously.

As it turns out the La Quinta Inn has suites. That’s where we ended up.

Well, the pool is open now and the kids are staring impatiently. Enjoy your Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Have fun on your Birmingham vacation and give Misty a hearty "good luck" from me. If you go to the zoo tomorrow, remember they have a water feature where you can all get wet and cool off. (translation - wear clothes you can get soaked in)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every see the Sienfeld episode where Kramer and his vertically challenged friend,were doing just that,acting as patients for med students.They drew diseases and had to act them out.I think Kramer got cirrhosis and his friend a STD.Very funny as they over acted the part hoping it might inhance their acting careers as stand-ins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's where we always stay for All-state chorus.We've had similar experience.

    Have a great time, Dad. I know Misty will.

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected