Wednesday, July 30, 2014

God's Generosity

Each week, I give my congregation a list of "Daily Bible Readings". They usually tie in with the sermon in some way, and they serve as a guide for continued study during the week.

This week, in keeping with the lectionary gospel reading (5 parables about the 'Kingdom of Heaven'), I offered other parables from Matthew's gospel that begin with the phrase "The Kingdom of Heaven is like..."

Today's reading is/was Matthew 20:1-16. In the reading, Jesus compares God's reign to a land owner who hires workers at daybreak, again at 9:00 am, and 3:00 pm, and again at 5:00. At the end of the day, all were paid the same wage.

Verse 15 really leaps off the page. "Don’t I have the right to do what I want with what belongs to me? Or are you resentful because I’m generous?"

Does anyone else find themselves, too often, resentful of God's generosity?

I have to remind myself of this often. "Scott, grace is God's to give; not yours. Now shut up and receive your gift."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected