Monday, March 18, 2013

Ordination Question #1

A couple of week's ago, I attended the Board of Ordained Ministry interview retreat at Camp Sumatanga.  I applied for provisional membership late last year. The interview retreat is the next to last step in the approval/discernment process. I passed the interview and was approved. Now the Board will recommend approval to the clergy session at  (North Alabama) Annual Conference (in June). If I am approved, I will be commissioned as a Provisional Elder the next day. This is the next step in the process of ordination.

As a part of the application process each candidate is asked to answer questions as asked in the Book of Discipline. These answers are reviewed by the BOOM to determine if the candidate is ready to proceed toward ordination.

I've debated over the last few months over whether or not to post my answers. I decided to post them. I'll do them one at a time for a few weeks.

I ask this, if you find these through a Google (or other engine) search, feel free to read the answers and use them for guidance. Please don't plagiarize. It's likely your BOOM knows how to use Google. That's the basic amoral reason to not copy. The more important reason is you need to answer these questions. The Board needs to know what you believe. Even more so, you need to know what you believe.

For others, read, and feel free to offer questions, comments, etc.

This post contains links to all the questions.

Note: Because of plagiarism concerns I have included only the opening sentences of each answer. Good luck with your paperwork.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.      Describe your personal experience of God and the understanding of God you derive from Biblical, theological, and historical sources.
My personal experience of God is best described as a constant. I often hear stories of people who have profound life-changing experiences with God – an addict who turns to God and turns from his/her demons or a businessperson so convicted about their own unethical practices that they quit their high-paying corporate job to start faith-based non-profit organization.  I used to be jealous of people with stories like that. I thought that my lack of such a story meant that I did not truly experience God. I no longer believe that.
I now realize that though my experience with God may not be as dramatic as the experiences of some others, my experiences are no less profound....

2 comments:

  1. In question 1, did you note specific biblical, theological, and historical resources aside from you experiences?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Some from the articles of religion/confession of faith and a couple of other resources. Mostly, though, I focused on my personal experiences.

      Delete

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected