Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My Busy Brain

Well, the busyness of yesterday did not lend itself to typing out my Annual Conference notes. So, no AC recap today. Tomorrow. Really.

After writing about my busy weekend yesterday, I realized that my life will not be any less busy for quite a while. Annie rehearsals. I’m helping with the youth at church. I’m helping organize a canned food drive at church. I really want to go to Paducah this weekend. And of course there’s work and family obligations. Life is busy. Life is good.

The last few days it seems like my brain is even busier than my body. Too many things running around in there. Too many possibilities. Too many hopes. Too many fears. Too many questions. Never enough answers.

Speaking of youth. I’ve agreed to help with the youth program at church through the summer. We are searching for a new youth minister. In the meantime several volunteers (old and new) are going to keep the program running through the summer. They’ve asked me to help out in a sort of advisory capacity (along with some boots on the ground type stuff as well.) I’m excited about helping. I am, though, having to fight the urge to take things over. It’s in my nature.

One of the thought barreling through my over-crowded brain concerns some of my old writings. Back when I was still doing youth ministry, I wrote a monthly newsletter. Most months I wrote an article for the cover of the newsletter. I don’t have any of those articles. I wish I did. I know there are a couple of former youth who read this occasionally. Any chance one of you has some of the old newsletters? I know it’s a long shot, but thought I’d take a stab.

The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!

And I’m not in them. I guess that means I’m not a somebody. I’m OK with that.

Those of you who heard (or read) my last sermon might find this funny. I did. Adam Hamilton is the pastor of Church of the Resurrection in Kansas City. I’m pretty sure COR is the largest United Methodist congregation in America. Adam is considered one of the most influential voices in the Mainstream Church. In August he is releasing a new book/sermon series called When Christians Get it Wrong. Here’s the description from his publisher’s website:

More and more young adults have opted out of Christianity and the church. The reason? Christians.

When young adults talk about the problems they have with Christianity and the church, they often name certain attitudes and behaviors they believe are practiced too often by Christians: judging others, condemning people of other faiths, rejecting science, injecting politics into faith, and being anti-homosexual. With his familiar style, Adam Hamilton tackles these issues and addresses the how’s and why’s of Christians getting it right when it comes to being Christ in the world.

Those who read When Christians Get It Wrong will gain a different way of understanding the issues that keep people away from Christianity and keep Christians from living a more compelling faith. Because, honestly, if we don’t start getting it right, we may lose an entire generation.

Sounds a little like my sermon to me. Interesting…

Looks like I am almost definitely going to Paducah this Sunday. So for all of you who care to know such things, I will not be at Edgemont Sunday morning.

This morning I found a box filled with a bunch of my stuff that came from my parents’ house after their last move (not the most recent one). I looked through it briefly. Old notebooks, high school newspapers, college acceptance letters, and who knows what else. I’m going to take it home and go through it to see what’s in there. I am hoping beyond hope that the infamous “Blue Book” is in there.

I think I smell a future blog series. Or that my just be the smell of mold and dust.

Since I’m just throwing out a lot of random unrelated nonsense, let me make a musical recommendation. Katie Herzig. It’s good singer/songwriter type stuff. She may be more widely known that I think. I downloaded her album on NoiseTrade. It’s good stuff. Really good. You can’t download the whole album anymore, but you can get her single. There’s lots of other free music there, by the way. You should go to there.

3 comments:

  1. So, have you had "the talk?" ~Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see God working through you, Scott, and it is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric - No. I'll add that tot he list.

    Nancy - You say exciting. I say scary as hell!

    ReplyDelete

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected