Monday, May 3, 2010

My Questions, My Answers

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about some questions I posed to a few of my friends. After they answered, I promised I would answer the questions as well. A while back I talked about doing an entry, or maybe a series, of “what I believe.” I guess this can be entry #1 in that series. Unless I don’t do any more, then it will be a stand-alone deal.

Below you will find the questions I posed to my friends and my corresponding answers.

Honestly, there is probably some bad theology in these answers. I’m sure there are things with which you will agree and disagree. And that’s OK. You may disagree with every word. That’s OK, too.

I invite you to read. To comment. To discuss.

If you want to answer the questions yourself, that’s great. If you don’t want to answer them in this public forum, you can email your answers/comments to me.

1) Tell me a little about your spiritual life (or lack of). Christian, other religion, non-religious, Atheist, etc. Did you attend church as a child? When did you stop?

My spiritual life? Hmm... I'm a Christian, obviously. But honestly, I hate the label. To me, it has come to mean so many things and 85% of them are negative. I think I'll go back to the early church nomenclature. I am a follower of The Way. I grew up in church. Then my family quit going. I started back on my own at 16. During that time my spiritual and political leanings shifted to the right. Not far right, but definitely right of center. That was mostly because that's what I was surrounded by. It's what I was taught. I slacked off in college a little, but stayed pretty faithful in my attendance, if nothing else. A few years after college I went into full-time youth ministry. That was a wonderful chance for me to see the underbelly of the organized church. During this time I began to see another side of the faith. I realized there was an intellectual aspect to faith as well as spiritual. I began to move much more to the center in my thinking. After we returned to Florence, I continued on this intellectual path. I began to look at my faith critically. To look at the Bible critically. And to look at Christians critically. The more I studied, the more I realized that as a follower of Christ, I am called to love. Unconditionally.

I classify myself as a seeker. I am seeking to know God better. Through the Bible. Through prayer. Through conversations with others.

I would say my faith is a big part of who I am, but it does not necessarily define me. I'm not going to beat anyone over the head with it. I probably won't even mention it in conversation. Unless you bring it up.

That being said, I do lead worship (play guitar & sing in the band) at my church.

I am certain of one thing in my faith. Nothing is certain. It is ever evolving. Mostly for the better.

2) What is your first impression, knee-jerk reaction when someone you’ve just me tells you they are a Christian?
My knee jerk reaction to someone telling me they are a Christian is usually a deep sigh. And a lightly muttered, "Oh shit." I don't like a lot of Christians. I cannot stand most any of the more well known "voices of Christianity." Pat Robertson, James Dobson, etc. They are nothing more than gigantic mouths out to serve their own purposes.

I will say that I like most of the people in the church I'm in now. It is a small Methodist church with very few if any "Christian Right" types. The group I tend to be a part of is open-minded, willing to listen and discuss and really examine their faith.

3) What do you see as the purpose of the Christian Church?
The purpose of the church is love. Plain and simple. My vision of what the Church should be comes from one of Jesus' parables. Where he talks about "the least of these." The poor, the hungry, the imprisoned, the outcasts, etc. "What ever you did for the least of these, you did for me."

I consider my self in the post-modern, "emergent" church crowd. They teach a very service oriented faith. Accepting. Loving. The 'Kingdom of God' is not the afterlife. The Kingdom of God is now, and the purpose of the Church is to bring that kingdom to fruition.

Don't read that as trying to convert the world. That's not what I'm talking about. The church should show the world God's love. We are to do the work of God. Feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, helping the poor, etc. Yes, I believe in the SOCIAL GOSPEL!!! Take that Glenn Beck!

4) How would you describe the Christian Bible? (Rulebook, mythology, truth, etc.)
The Bible is where it gets tricky for me. I believe it was written by men. Men who had an agenda. Men who wrote to a specific people at a specific time for a specific reason. I also believe it to be God inspired. I do not think it is to be taken literally. I do not think it is inerrant. I also believe there are many, many other God-inspired works out there. Some of them written at the same time as the current books of the Bible, some of them written yesterday. God still speaks, figuratively, of course.

I look at the Bible culturally. I like to ask, "Who is this addressed to?" "What did the author want to say to them?" "What does the passage say about the nature of God?" "What does it say about me?"

The answers to those questions change from reading to reading.

5) What should be the Christian Church’s focus?

The way I asked question 3 this is the same question. Question 3 should have said something like, "What role does the church portray?" or something like that. My answer to that is...Many of them try to portray themselves as the Moral Authority of the country. Their actions speak otherwise. I'm looking for the opposite. Our actions show who we are. Then words may not be necessary.

Hopefully most of that was clear. At least as clear as stained glass.

3 comments:

  1. Have you read Frederich Buechner's book Whistling in the Dark? We were on vacation a long time ago (pre-kid, in other words) and heard a pastor in an Episcopal church read the entry from that book on Alcoholics Anonymous. I think you would like to read that entry, too, if you can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, i'm impressd with, & in general agreemt w, ur 'theology'. Yrs ago, annette & i thot if a church could combine the 2 then-separate approaches --- social gospel & 'personal' (for lack of better term) gospel --- the Christian church would have its act together. Today we see that emerging - includg @ edgmnt in persons such as urself, eric, betsy, tim - i shouldnt have started naming names as i could go on & on naming people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Good stuff.

    1) Tell me a little about your spiritual life (or lack of). Christian, other religion, non-religious, Atheist, etc. Did you attend church as a child? When did you stop?

    Pretty familiar story. Grew up in church - *always* there. Drifted away in college. Blended some eastern spirituality into my concept of reality. Became aware of the intelectual tension/conflicts in the faith I constructed... had to decide what was really real, and what had to go. Found that the only thing I couldn't let go of was Jesus. Started over from there.

    I pray a lot. I *try* to have my quiet time every morning, but my ADD gets me sometimes, and I end up planning the next sermon series, or playing with the dogs. ;P.

    2) What is your first impression, knee-jerk reaction when someone you’ve just me tells you they are a Christian?

    I think, "WHY are they telling me? What do they want?"

    3) What do you see as the purpose of the Christian Church?

    To be about the work of redeeming the world, whatever that means. We ARE the body of Christ.

    4) How would you describe the Christian Bible? (Rulebook, mythology, truth, etc.)

    I believe it is true in the way that gravity is true. We don't exactly understand it, but definitely feel the effects. It hurts when you quit paying attention to gravity (fall down, go boom!). It is true in the sense that the Bible is the book God wanted us to have. It is true in what it teaches about the character of God and our need for God. So even though the details may be "off" (round earth, creation over billions of years) the story it tells is true. ALSO, it requires a great amount of prayer, reading, and a conversing community of faith to "apply" the story to one's life.

    5) What should be the Christian Church’s focus?

    Introducing others to the grace of God in Jesus.

    REALLY didn't mean to write that much. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected