Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Just Another Day at the Mall

Today I have a couple of requests and then a quick story. And this time, I do mean quick.

Requests:

1) I have agreed to provide some music for a prayer vigil at Edgemont UMC this Friday. I’ve been looking through some stuff today, but I cannot find anything I like. I need a CD that I can turn on and let it repeat. It will play low in the sanctuary while parishioners come and go throughout the day. I need some suggestions for music. I’m looking for something instrumental or choral. I really like the TaizĂ© music and may use that, but I’m open to suggestion. Since it’s Good Friday, it should be somewhat subdued. Nothing upbeat and/or happy.

2) I’m looking for some new podcasts. I listed those I already download in yesterdays post. I need some other suggestions. I’m open to almost anything. News, history, music, entertainment, faith – as long as it’s interesting, I’ll listen. Let me know if you have any good suggestions.

Story:

I meant to share this during “Anniversary Week” but I ran out of space & time. (Not to be confused with Space/Time.) Here’s a quick Scisty story. (Our couple name really isn’t as cute as Bennifer or Brangelina. I think that means we’ll actually last.)

Misty and I began dating in the spring of 1993. We were both in our freshman year of college. I attended Auburn University and Misty remained in Florence to help take care of her mother and attend UNA. The four hours separating us meant that I travelled to Florence every weekend for dates.

One weekend we ended up at the local Mall. We were shopping for something, but I can’t recall what. As we walked through the Mall we spotted my aunt & uncle. My uncle Roger is my dad’s older brother. He and his wife, Barbara, were doing some shopping of their own.

They had not met Misty, so I introduced her. I did not date much through high school, so Misty was the only of my girlfriends they’d met. We talked to them for a few minutes. Roger told a few storied about me as a boy. Wiffle ball, falling out of my dad’s truck, crying in Santa’s lap: typical embarrassing childhood stories.

After a few minutes we said goodbye. Misty and I headed deeper into the mall, while Roger and Barbara walked toward the exit.

We walked 10 yards or so when I heard my uncle call out behind us.

“Nice to meet you, Misty!”

We turned to wave. Misty prepared to respond. Before she could, Roger continued.

“We sure are glad to know he’s not gay!”

Misty looked at me. I chuckled nervously. Dozens of shoppers turned to see who’d been deemed a non-homosexual.

I love my family. Really, I do.

4 comments:

  1. Since I didn't get married until I was 31 I got the same thing from the family, especially from an uncle at who's house we usually spent Thanksgiving and Christmas. The house was always full of cousins with signigicant others...and me. My status became a running family joke, culminating one Thanksgiving when a blowup doll named Darlene (thankfully NOT anatomically correct) was placed beside me at the table as my Thanksgiving date. Families are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of last week's discussion at Soul Food about singleness and couplehood. People just don't know how to respond to singles so they usually respond poorly...or pretend they don't exist at all. J. O'Neal, I don't know you but what happened to you was AWFUL. Scott, what happened to you was not much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple of discs that might do it for you. Give me a shout. e.

    p.s. Bet Misty is glad, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry Nancy, if you knew me or my family you would understand that nothing was done in malice. All jokes (even Darlene) were met with lots of smiles and laughter. In fact, to this day I have a picture of myself, my uncle (who sadly passed away a few years ago and is greatly missed) and Darlete in my house. While some may have actual problems with this situation within their families and social circles, all my memories are funny, happy ones.

    ReplyDelete

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected