Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Years go by...

My little baby girl is no longer a baby, and she’s not that little either. She turned 9 this week. It’s amazing how fast nine years can pass. It’s remarkable how much can happen and how much things can change in nine years.

November 30, 2000. We lived in Helena, AL. At the time I worked at Bluff Park United Methodist Church in Hoover, AL as the Director of Youth Ministries. Since then we have moved 4 times to 3 different cities and 2 states. I have changed jobs twice and a career change. Misty has started and finished Nursing School and started Grad School at UAB. She has changed jobs 4 times and careers once. Both of our kids have started school. We’ve been through 3 different sports between two kids; none have stuck. My sister and brother have married and re-married, respectively. I’ve learned to play guitar and got past my fear of singing in public. We’ve regularly attended 4 different churches; I worked at two of them. I’ve played in two different praise bands. I’ve gained a little weight, lost a little hair, and have a few more wrinkles.

A quick look at the numbers for the last 9 years: 4 moves, 3 cities, 2 states, 3 sports, 7 jobs, 4 careers, 36 birthdays, 4 babies, one set of ear tubes, one heart attack, one bypass surgery, one thyroid surgery, one broken hip, 12 parent-teacher conferences, countless lost teeth, one concussion, one eaten watch face, several ER trips, 4 babysitters (not counting family), many harsh words, a few spankings, thousands of laughs and tears and “I love yous.”

The years fly by, and yet it seems a lifetime ago that my baby was born.

I can only imagine what the next 9 years hold. I hope I have a chance to savor them.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely said. I'm so glad your family's journey has brought you here!

    ReplyDelete

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected