Thursday, November 12, 2009

P7 - Version 5.0

This is (as it is most Thursdays) a 100% football post. If you want non-football content read and answer these Big Questions or read an amusing story I wrote in May about my daughter.

It’s week 5 of Scott’s Potentially Perfect Perhaps Perfectly Pathetic Pigskin Prognostications. Last week I was 5-3 bringing my overall record for the season to 16-11.

No more small talk, just picks.

Louisiana Tech @ LSU (-24) – LSU is coming off of a tough loss. So is LaTech. LSU is battered and bruised from last week’s show down with Bama. La Tech is not a bad team. They are not exactly a good team, but they are not a bad team. I think they’ll keep it closer than 24. Louisiana Tech.

Troy @ Arkansas (-13.5) – Another case of a decent team travelling to play an SEC opponent. Troy has a history of knocking off SEC teams. That is, if you count Mississippi State. Arkansas seems to be a team on the rise. I think the Hogs will take care of business. Arkansas.

Kentucky @ Vanderbilt (+3) – This one I will call impossible to pick. Vandy has not won a conference game this season. Kentucky is struggling since losing their QB. I honestly have no idea if he’s even come back yet. But, I lived in Kentucky. I have some friends who are UK fans. Therefore I’ll go with the Wildcats. Kentucky.

Florida @ South Carolina (+15.5) – South Carolina has something to prove. They want to show that they are not as bad as they’ve played the last few weeks. Florida is looking to keep the positive momentum going into Atlanta. The fly in the ointment here is history. In each of their most recent National Championship seasons the Gators lost to a team they probably should have beaten. This could be that game this year. I don’t think it is. But I think the Gamecocks keep it close at home. South Carolina.

Tennessee @ Ole Miss (-5) – A resurgent Tennessee team heads into Oxford on a 2-game winning streak. But they are also riding a 3-player arrest streak. Ole Miss is trying to get bowl eligible. I think the distractions are too much for the Vols and the motivation is just enough for the Rebels. I don’t think the margin will be more than a field goal, though. Tennessee.

Alabama @ Mississippi State (+12) – Speaking of resurgent, Dan Mullen has the Bulldogs headed in the right direction. Bama is showing no signs of slowing as they zoom toward a showdown with Florida in the SEC Championship Game. They do have a couple of speed bumps ahead of them, though. This game could be one of them. MSU is just a few of questionable calls (referees’ calls and play calls) from being 7-2 instead of 4-5. I think they’ll come in focused. I think they’ll come in fired up. I think the Starkville crowd will be disruptive. And I think the Bulldogs will lose. I look for a close game with Bama taking over in the 4th. But in true P7 fashion, I’ll pick Bama to win but I will not pick Bama to cover. Mississippi State.

Auburn @ Georgia (-4.5) – The Oldest Rivalry in the South v.2009. This should be a great game. Auburn has a couple of thing going for them as they travel to Athens. 1) They are the underdog – The Tigers play better when they are not expected to win. The underdog always plays well in this game. 2) The game is Between the Hedges – The road team, historically, does well in this series. Until the last few years the road team won 10 or 11 straight years. That being said, I don’t think I can pick Auburn. I picked Auburn to win against Kentucky. They lost. I picked against them the next 2 weeks. I was right once (LSU) and wrong once (Ole Miss). I picked them last week and they did not cover. My record is better picking against my Tigers than it is picking with them. Therefore, in hopes that they prove me wrong, and with confidence that they will do so, I will not pick my Auburn Tigers. Georgia.

Remember, these picks are for entertainment purposes only. These pick in no way endorse gambling on sports. By picking these games the author makes no claim that said picks are correct.

In other words, don’t gamble. And if you do, please don’t gamble based on these picks. It’s for your own good.

1 comment:

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected