Friday, May 1, 2009

Swine flu and Lingerie

Short slightly humorous story below, but first:

The swine flu is overrated. Not by the CDC, but the general public. Again, the excess of information and almost complete lack of good information has caused a public panic. I know these facts are getting out there, finally, but I don’t think it can be said enough. So, please, pay attention.

· 36,000 people die in the US every year from the “regular” flu. Since January 2009, over 13,000 have died from the flu in the US. Most, if not all, of these were high-risk types. (i.e. elderly, existing health problems, immunity disorders, infants, chronic respiratory problems.) Worldwide the flu kills between 250,000 and 500,000 each year.

· The swine flu is no more dangerous than the “regular” seasonal flu. It is the flu. The problem is that it is a different strain and the existing flu immunizations will not keep you from getting it. It is, however, treated just like other flu strains, with Tamiflu™ or some other anti-viral.

· There is nothing your doctor can give you to prevent you from getting the swine flu. Tamiflu™ will keep you from getting sick, but it is only effective while you are taking it. So if you haven’t already been exposed, there is no need to take it. If someone around you (at home, at work, etc.) is sick, Tamiflu™ will keep you from getting sick. But you can’t take it endlessly, so it is not an immunization. What can you do? Let’s ask the CDC:

What should I do to keep from getting the flu?
First and most important: wash your hands. Try to stay in good general health. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food. Try to not touch surfaces that may be contaminated with the flu virus. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.

· Last, but not least, you cannot get the swine flu from eating pork! Ham, bacon, pork chops, sausage, hot dogs, etc. will not kill you! Well, actually. Yeah, they will. But it’s not because of the swine flu.

· Get more info from the CDC here.

This is not, as I heard someone say, the next Black Plague. It’s the flu. It is spreading, and you may catch it. It likely will not kill you unless you fall into the high-risk category.

Above all, remember, it is completely treatable. Can we please unpanic?

So everyone go out and kiss a pig and tell them you’re sorry. Just be sure to take some and sanitizer with you.

And now for something completely different:

Wednesday my 8 year-old daughter was at the office after school. She went to the bathroom and after a few minutes came back with a magazine. I realized she had been quiet for a long time so I looked up from my work and glanced over to check on her. I noticed the “magazine” was actually a Victoria’s Secret catalog.

I asked her what she was looking at. She responded, “Um, I’m looking at the clothes in here. I thought, OK. They sell clothes, and she does like fashion.

A few minutes later someone came into my office to ask me a question. As they came in I noticed my little girl quickly clutch the catalog to her chest. I guess he didn’t want Derrick to see the “clothing.”

Yesterday I noticed the catalog was still on my desk, so I took it back to the bathroom. She was back at the office after school and asked where her “magazine” went. I’ve long thought that we are in for a tough time when she hits the teenage years. Given her apparent interest in negligee, it could be worse than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected