Friday, November 14, 2008

The Oldest Rivalry in the South

I’ve felt better over the last couple of days. Still not great, but good.

I’m going to give a little of the credit to Krispy Kreme. Even though they are little yeast-filled structures of pure, sugary evil, they do make me happy. Especially when they are hot. Oh man. Oh man.

I have absolutely no feeling about the game this weekend. I feel like Auburn could win it. I feel like Auburn should lose. No real conviction either way. The series is 53-50-8 all-time (in favor of AU). I expect the gap will narrow this year. But it could also widen.

I do love the AU/UGA game. You can have your “World’s Largest Cocktail Parties” and your “Third Saturdays in October.” I’ll take “The Oldest Rivalry in the South.”

When I was at Auburn, UGA was probably my favorite home game. Of the three times Georgia played on the Plains while I was in school I think my favorite was 1996. That fall quarter I worked for the campus TV studio. Because of that job, I was asked to help the TV crews for home football games. Two or three times that year I stood on the sidelines of Jordan-Hare Stadium holding a TV cable and following a cameraman around the perimeter of the field.

The 1996 AU/UGA game was monumental. Monumental for me personally, for the rivalry, and for college football as a whole. It was the 100th meeting between the two teams. Which made this an epic game for both schools. In honor of the occasion, Bo Jackson joined in the pre-game ceremonies and roamed the sidelines during the game. Therein lies my personal leaning toward that game.

I passed by Bo several times during the game. He is a mountain of a man. Well, compared to me anyway. Finally, I conversed with Bo Jackson during the third quarter. I talked to Bo and he talked to me. I could not have been more excited. As I passed him holding the coiled bundle of wires, I noticed him step backward toward the cable on the ground. I said loudly, just in time, “Look out for the cable.” Bo looked down, looked at me, and said, “Thanks.” I think the grin finally left my face around December 15th.

This game also marked the very first SEC game to go into overtime. The NCAA instituted its overtime rules in 1996. No other SEC teams played to a tie in regulation time until November 16th of that year. It took 4 overtimes for the Bulldogs to finally defeat the Tigers.

For each overtime period there was a coin toss. For each coin toss the cameraman to whom I was assigned went out on the field to record the action. That meant that I had to follow. On four separate occasions I stood alone (holding a cable) around the hash marks of the 50 yard-line on what is now Pat Dye Field at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

It was quite a thrilling day. And to top it all off, we were allowed to eat from the Kenny Rogers Roasters catered press table after the game before we helped CBS pack up. It was a great day for football. It was a great day for me.

No matter what happens this weekend, War Eagle!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected