Thursday, March 13, 2008

Tuesday

That has got to be the most boring title I could have come up with for this entry. I should try something to really grab people's attention. Maybe "Backhoes, Dump trucks, and Horse Dung". It doesn't really flow off of the tongue, does it? I guess I could use "Rain on the Plains: The Trials and Tribulations of Dump trucks on Soggy Ground." That one is a little cumbersome. I'll just go with Tuesday. It's simple and boring. I like it.

I meant to write about this yesterday, but I procrastinate.

I spent most Tuesday in the car. I know, it's shocking. We're starting a job in Opelika (just outside of Auburn for those who don't know). I drove down Tuesday to do some preparation for starting the dirt work. The main thing I was going down for was to get a couple of loads of fill dirt ordered and delivered to the site. 

When I got there, I decided to pull our rented backhoe around to the job-site. I'm pretty sure this was the first time I've ever driven a backhoe. While I waited on the dirt, I decided to play on the backhoe and start scraping off the building pad and pull a post out of the ground. Backhoes are fun toys. 

Then the dirt arrived. And the rain started. Long story short, the first truck got stuck. The area he drove into was grass, but the soil underneath was very wet and therefore soft. I had prepared the homeowners for ruts in their yard. It was much worse than I imagined. I spent the next hour pulling a large dump truck out of the yard with a backhoe. This was my second time on a backhoe. It worked...eventually.

Oh, and I was blessed enough to have the privilege of making another trip to Lanett, AL. I love that place.

So I left Opelika soaked, sore, and tense. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected