Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Boom boom

Yesterday was a first. I've had head aches. I have them fairly often. I've had bad headaches. At least I thought I had. Until yesterday, I've never had a headache that made me sick. As I was taking the kids home from school, I thought I was going to have to pull over and throw up. I didn't. I made it home with the contents of my stomach intact. I took some Tylenol and went to bed. After an hour or so of rest I felt much better. Headaches suck.

I downloaded Safari for Windows today. We'll see how it goes.

I have now been married 13 years and one day. I was going to post a "Scott & Misty Story" yesterday, but it was a busy day. Well, why not do it now. A few years ago, I posted several stories (you can read them here.) Another that needs to be told is the birth of our youngest.

It all starts in late February/early March 2000. Around that time we were driving all over the southeast as I interviewed for full-time youth ministry positions. In late March I accepted a job at Bluff Park UMC in B'ham. A week or so later we learned that Misty was pregnant with our second child. So off we go to Birmingham with a three year-old in tow and 3 months pregnant. Fast forward to November.

Keep in mind, our 1st was about 2 weeks late and a VERY hard labor. (Misty looks dead in the pictures afterward. Literally.) We did not want this one to go past the due date. We didn't want this one to make it to the due date. On November 30th, Misty called a friend of hers who was a L & D nurse at Brookwood (our Dr's hospital) and was working that day. We found out our Dr. was heading out of town for the weekend that afternoon. Misty was ready. The baby did not seem to be ready. Julie (the nurse) told her to take a long, hard walk. Don't stop, even when the contractions start. Misty called me at work and told me the plan. I headed to Helena to walk with her. As I left I told our church secretary where I was headed and what we were doing. She reminded me that I was supposed to take the church van to the mechanic later. She didn't think our plan was going to work.

So we walk. After 30 minutes or so. We have regular contractions. We call the hospital. They say come on, you're ready. I call the church to let them know we're going to the hospital to have the baby. Our wonderful secretary says, "But Mr. So-and-so is on his way here to follow you to the mechanic." I tell her again, "We're on our way to the hospital!" Off we go to Brookwood. I call my Mom (2 1/2 hours away in Florence) and she and my sister head to Birmingham. 

When we get to the hospital we find out that our Dr. is heading out of town at 6:00. He comes in to check on her around 3:00. Tells us there's no way the baby will be born before he leaves. Julie and Misty have other plans. They worked and breathed and sat in funny positions for two hours or so. And at 5:45, after about 45 minutes of pushing, Abby was born. And our Dr. made it out of town on time AFTER delivering our baby. My Mom and sister showed up about 20 minutes after she was born. And all was well. 

I hope someone took that van to the mechanic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected