Sunday, January 23, 2005

RIP Johnny Carson

I can't believe Carson died today. I have so many great memories of watching the Tonight Show. I remember watching in Gulf Shores, AL at the Lighthouse Inn on night when Drew Barrymore was on the show. I had a huge crush on her back then (1988 or so.) I think my favorite Carson character was the sleazy salesman guy. That was comedy. I guess my favorite memory of Carson is watching him a t my grandmother's house when I would spend the night with her.


Speaking of Mama Neenie, she has been one of the greatest part of moving back to Florence. Neenie is my 89 year-old maternal grandmother. This summer she was in very bad health, and reall has not been herself for a couple of years now. She was in the hospital far a few weeks this summer because she had lost all strength and was having some dementia issues also. While there they realized that the problem was her thyroid. It was nto functioning properly, which we know from Misty's surgery, affects you mentally. They put her on some medicine, sent her to rehab for a few weeks, and sent her home.


When we got to Florence, I noticed the improvement almost immediately. She was 200% more alert and coherent than she had been in a long time. Then her heat went out. Mom & Dad were out of town, so I was charged with the responsibility of getting the heat fixed. During that week or so, I spent a lot of time at her house. Most of it just sitting talking to her while we waited for someone to show up to fix the blasted thing. That time was an amazing blessing. My grandmother is an amazing person who has done some very amazing things in her life. I won't be surprised if she lives another 20 years.


She is loving having us back in town. For the past few years she's had no family at church with her. Now that we're here we go to church with her and take her home afterward. She told me a few days ago how "proud" she is to have us there sitting with her. But I think I'm repeating myself.


Church today was... interesting. Emily, I'd like to know what you thought about the sermon or message or whatever that was. My only thought is this: The pulpit is not and should not be treated as a political soap box!


I got my new guitar! I love it! It's just like the picture I posted a few days ago, except the pick-guard and single coil pick-up are white. It is much fun.


Football sucked tonight. I hate the Patriots. I have hated them since 1985.


5:45 comes early. I'm off to bed. Seriously Emily, I want to know what you thought about church today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected