Thursday, October 15, 2009

Scott’s Potentially Perfect Perhaps Perfectly Pathetic Pigskin Prognostications

I should warn you, this is post is 100% football related. If you want non-football content, read this entry from 10/14/09.

I tried this for 3 or 4 weeks last year. Then the football season went down the tubes for those of us known as Auburn fans. Since we’re several weeks into the season, I thought I’d try it again.

I’ll give you the teams and the point spread. The point spread according to Vegas is in parentheses. If your unfamiliar with how spreads work, it applies to the last team listed. If it’s a negative number then that team has to win by at least that many points. If it’s a positive number then they can lose by any number smaller than that and still win versus the spread.

In 24 picks last year I was 10-14, so I was right 41% of the time (or wrong 59% take your pick.) As you can see I do not have a future career in picking football games.

UAB @ Ole Miss (-23.5) – We start with an interesting game. Ole Miss is struggling but improving. They are coming off of a big loss and are looking to take out some frustrations. Jevon Snead was picked 2nd team pre-season All-SEC. He has yet to live up to that honor. He, too, is looking for a breakout game. I don’t think they’ll get either. UAB is not a great team, but they are not a bad team. They’ll lose, but I think they keep it close into the 4th quarter. Ole Miss wins the game, but I’ll take UAB with the points.

Arkansas @ Florida (-22) – Florida and Arkansas are both coming off of wins. Florida is good. Arkansas is better than they’ve shown. Despite their performance last week, Arkansas’ defense is not good. Their offense, on the other hand, is very good. Across the line of scrimmage, the Gators’ defense is top notch. We’ve seen how Arkansas responds to a great defense. Not well. Still, 22 is a big number. I think the Hogs have built some confidence. I think they’ll hang with the Gators. Arkansas keeps it close but loses.

UGA @ Vandy (+9.5) – Not much to say about this game. Vanderbilt has, so far this season, been Vanderbilt. Georgia is on quite the downslide. I think Georgia wins. But I’m not sure they’ll win by 10. I’ve picked all underdogs so far, so I’ll go with the Bulldogs from Athens, Georgia to win big on the road.

Oklahoma vs. Texas (-1.5) – What a terrible spread. What a horrible game. Actually, if it’s anything like last year, it will be entertaining if nothing else. I’m torn on this one. My heart says Texas, my head says Oklahoma. I’m going with the Longhorns in a close one.

South Carolina @ Bama (-17) Not a whole lot to say about either one of these teams. Bama is playing great. USC is a much better team than anyone thought. I don’t see Alabama losing this one, but I think 17 is big number. Mostly because of their mascot name, I’ll pick The Gamecocks to keep it under 17.

Kentucky @ Auburn (-14) – Just like the last game, this is a big number. Auburn is still stinging from last week’s loss. Kentucky is stinging from the loss of their quarterback. Kentucky’s offense is not bad; Auburn’s defense is not good. I think the Tigers feel like they have something to prove, though. They want to show that last week was an aberration. They want to prove that the first 5 games were no fluke. I think they’ll come out gunning. I think the defense will come out aggressive, especially against the back-up QB. Kentucky will put up a fight, but I think AU wins by 17. Auburn.

Well, there it is. Pigskin Prognostications 2009. Maybe I can break 50% this year.

I should remind you that these picks are for entertainment purposes only. Please, no wagering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected