Thursday, August 27, 2009

A proper title escapes me...

188. Finally, things are headed in the right direction again.

I know I’ve said this before, but last night it became a little more obvious. My memory is not worth a hoot. Misty and I were talking last night and I realized there are things that happened just a few years ago that I have absolutely no memory of, whatsoever. And not little things like what I had for lunch on June 5th, 2002. A few years ago I met her dad. I have absolutely no recollection of that at all. Scary.

Speaking of her family…I know what the first book I write will be about. Wow. Actually make that the second. The first will be my family. We’re quite the piece of work.

I’m really happy with our Seeing Gray class so far. We’ve had some good discussions. I thought last night was probably the best so far. That was probably because we strayed from my plan. I’m thinking I might start sharing some of the book and some of my thoughts on it here. For the non-churchy readers, I don’t think you’ll mind much. Who knows it might spark some discussion. Actually, I hope it would. That’s something I wish our Wednesday night discussions had: an “outside” perspective.

What the hell! Let’s do it now. Read, digest, discuss.

Seeing Gray is a look at our polarized nation. The public discourse is increasingly partisan and down right venomous. The Author, Adam Hamilton, looks at the role the Church plays in our culture and shares his vision for the role the Church should play.

This is something I’d like to hear responses to: Hamilton says he has an “increasing frustration with the role that Christianity has played in the Culture Wars.” He says that Christians have become a “wedge” dividing the nation and “driv[ing] people from Christ.” What do you think? Do you share his frustration? Are Christians a wedge?

Hamilton argues that there is truth on both sides of the liberal vs. conservative debate. He calls on Christians to look to the “Via Media”; the Middle Way. How can we do that without being viewed as wishy-washy flip-floppers? Or without actually being spineless and indecisive? Or as Jim Wallis put’s it in the forward: How do we avoid the “mushy political middle”?

The current climate surrounding the Health Care reform legislation is a perfect example of this bitter split. What is the role of Christians in the debate? Do we even have a part to play?

OK, that’s enough for now. Feel free to comment here. Be open & honest. Or if you’d rather you can email your comments to me. I’m sure my email is on here somewhere.

6 comments:

  1. If people would remember that their beliefs are just that. Something they believe to be true when it might not be. What a person believes only matters to that person. If we could grab hold of reason as a constAn instead of fear and speculation we might actually accomplish something in this political era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's frustrating that from a political point of view, if you're a Christian, it's assumed that you are also an ultra conservative republican. Likewise, while sitting in church, it is often assumed by the direction of sermons that the "Christian Way" is the conservative way. I think it's very unfortunate that the word liberal has become a "bad" word of sorts to describe anyone who doesn't agree with all conservative view points. I've never understood the highly negative conotations that now surround the word. I also think it's unfortunate that anyone who tries to find good things on both sides of an issue, or is even willing to consider another person's point of view, is considered wishy washy, as you put it. It frustrates the hell out of me that I have family (and in-laws) on both sides (liberal and conservative) that complain about the "other side" being "so closed minded" about things when they're both equally close-minded. I digress, however I believe the point made by the Hamilton is a valid one. I believe that Christianity has become so intertwined with politics as to be synonomous with conservativism and the Religious Right that a whole generation of smart, young people are leaving the church because they see it as an ultra rigid, close-minded concept that they don't want any part of. If you're a Republican, and don't like the way the recent election went, I think you can look to the same factors (with the GOP yielding so much decision making power to the Religious Right) as one of the main reasons for the results of this election. Bottom line, I definitely share the frustration, I think I'd really like that book, and if I wasn't in Mobile, I'd be at your class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was "raised" Methodist but never went to church, so ddI guess I'm one of those "Christian by default" types. As for the role Christianity has played for me? I do think SOME Christians have driven a wedge in our culture - and I think they wanted to do just that - exclude themselves from us "other" heathens. Unfortunately, those extremists have become the face to Christianity for some of us and have driven us away.

    When I lived in New England, I saw a much more friendly and caring Christian group. I would say I'm an agnotist - and I met a Christian at my last job. The first thing he said was 'I don't like to declare I'm a Christian because I think that automatically sounds like an exclusive club.' I thought that was pretty neat. He enabled everything I believed Christianity stood for - kindness, forgiving, helping, selflessness, TOLERANCE. It restored my faith in the Christian faith - I wouldn't say I'm a Christian, but I definitely don't associate it with as many bad feelings as I once did.

    But then I get here (Alabama) and simply from posting a few comments on the health care plan, the extremists have come out again - pointing fingers, calling names, mudslinging, judging everyone - all in the name of God. It's sad... very sad...

    Unfortunately, the GOOD Christian people aren't usually the type to throw it in your face and call you names. It's not pushed upon other people and driven down their throats. Again, I think it's all of the extremists that make the news and make it hard for the more moderate, accepting Christians to make a statement on where they stand.

    Just talking to Tony, the guy I worked with, really gave me hope about religion. It made me realize that there are good people out there that don't judge and exclude based on their own beliefs. If all Christians could find just one person that has been turned away from Christianity - and explain what it's truly about, I think it would make a world of difference. And let everyone know that all Christians aren't crazy people that preach hell and brimstone... that it can be a positive thing in your life.

    OK, I know this is random and my thoughts are a little jagged, but you get the jist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Derek Webb has a great lyric where he talks about one of the "two great lies" that he has heard. The second being that "Jesus Christ was a white Middle-class Republican. And if you wanna be saved you've gotta learn to be like him." (A King A Kingdom)

    To me that pretty much sums up most of America's attitude. But like Derek says - that is one of the "great lies" of "Christianity."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with much that has been said. I keep wondering when "political conservative" began to mean "Christian conservative". How did the two become intertwined? Christians, by principal, are supposed to be loving, kind, and compassionate, but that is not what is seen especially when it comes to seeing an opposing political point of view. My feeling is that we should live our lives in a way that reflects our faith, but not drag religion into every political debate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of some of Jimmy Carter's writings. And that book Al Gore wrote a little while ago about fear based politics and religion. That not everything is a line drawn in the sand. We have to see beyond our own perspectives.

    But yes, I remember growing up in the church being told that there is only black and white and anything else means you are... Read More a fence straddler. You run luke warm.

    That is why I decided to wait until I was an adult to get baptized. I just couldn't be part of that kind of thinking. Growing up it wasn't the question of belief that held me back it was what KIND of Christian did I want to be.

    ReplyDelete

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected