Monday, June 22, 2009

A (Father's) Day in the Life

Just a quick laundry list update on life today.

I hope you had a great Father’s Day. I know I did. I got up early, as I do every Sunday, and walked up the street for church. We played some songs this week that I really enjoy singing, and a new one that I like a lot.

I taught Youth Sunday School, which I enjoyed. I used to hate really cheesy object lessons (both as a student and a teacher.) I have come to the conclusion that cheesy lessons may be the most effective. Yes, it’s corny. Yes, you’ll moan and groan. But you’ll likely remember it.

We walked back home and I opened my gifts. I got an iPod. It is my first. It is also previously owned. I love it! As I write this I’m listening to some lovely music. Why am I listening on the iPod? Well, for one thing, because it’s here. A more practical reason is the heat.

It’s about 276° outside. I work in a metal building. That makes it around 389° in my office, even with the central air running. Luckily, I have a window air conditioning unit in the wall of my office. The problem is, it’s loud. When it is on, I have to turn my music up in order to hear over the AC. When I do that, everyone in the building is forced to listen to my music. Not fair, I say.

My daughter was insistent on buying me something herself. I tried to explain that I was already getting a combined gift from her, her brother, and Misty. She’d have nothing of it. She bought me a white “muscle” t-shirt (which I think is quite a hysterical name given the intended wearer.) It should make a great “Lawn Mowing Shirt.” She also gave me a stuffed pig and a painted wooden cross. She hand wrote a card on paper of my favorite color (green) and taped a dollar to it. I asked about the dollar. She said she wanted me to have it.

After the gifts, it was off to El Mazatlan (or El Matzah-land, as I like to call it) for a Mexican buffet lunch. YUM! After lunch I collapsed in the recliner to digest and enter a post-buffet coma.

We spent the afternoon at my parents’ house. My youngest and the cousins terrorized a smallish inflatable pool for several hours. It finally gave way under the constant punishment the 5 of them subjected it to.

After the pool succumbed to the unending barrage of flying, bouncing children, we left to visit my grandparents.

Then we returned home to end the day with a Brady Bunch Season 1 marathon. All in all, it was a great day.

2 comments:

  1. A stuffed pig? What a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that she taped that dollar to your card. I mean, in this economy.. we need every cent. :) What a DOLL.

    ReplyDelete

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected