Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I think it's time

OK, here it is a real true to life update. I have lots to say but no plan, so let's see where this goes.

I'll start with my birthday present I got from Heath last week. My birthday was in January, but the gift didn't come around until last Wednesday. I found out what it was before my birthday, but I promised I wouldn't write about it here lest others get jealous. Well, now I'm writing about it. I drove down to Birmingham and spent Valentine's Day with Heath and his roommate eating at Subway and then over to the BJCC Theater to see "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee"! It's not as boring as it sounds...it's a musical. The touring production was in B'ham last week. It was hilarious! Good times! It was nice to see Owen again, too. Just in case I haven't said it enough... Thanks Heath!

I'm missing Glen Phillips in Nashville tonight. *sigh*

Last weekend, I went to a conference on "Growing Healthy Churches." The morning was much better than I thought it would be. The afternoon session was very interesting. It featured Ladonna Witmer. She shared her life-long struggle to fit into the church and how the church as a whole has failed her generation. I tend to agree with her. I think the mainline Christian church is missing the point completely on several issues. We focus too much on the minutia of who is or isn't a Christian, who is or isn't "savable." That we forget the greatest commandment. (I paraphrase,) Love God and love others as yourself. Jesus also told us to love our neighbor and our enemy as he loved us. That means UNCONDITIONALLY! Lots of "progressive" Christians talk about tolerance of certain groups and causes. Tolerance is a lot different than acceptance. I don't think we are called to tolerate people. We are called to love them. I won't go into my specific views and beliefs any more than that.

Well, I have more to share, but it's time to go get the kids. I'll share again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered and Protected